Space Marines 7 – Hawk Lords

Part 7 of my Space Marines painting series is a member of the Hawk Lords. Purple is the colour of the day, along with a bit of non-metallic metallic gold for the shoulder edges.

This is one that didn’t photograph quite so well as it looks in the plastic, so overall I was quite happy with the colour selection for the shades and highlights, which are guess work on my part, because I don’t use Games Workshop paints.

Time for the photos:

Space Marines - Hawk Lords - 1
Space Marines - Hawk Lords - 2
Space Marines - Hawk Lords - 3

I seem to have forgotten to take a rear view shot of this guy, but you get the idea!

Overall, I’m quite happy with him. The old chestnut of where to highlight, and how much, remains something of a challenge, but I’ve started doing a little more edge highlighting, and am seeing how effective it is on this type of mini.

Done over, I think the eyes need a little more contrast, and look a bit flatter than my better efforts in this regard. Also, purely for the sake of photography, I think a lighter top highlight would be good. Other than that, I don’t think this guy looks at all bad, although this chapter is a bit dull looking without the golden hawk emblems on the pauldrons. I’m not sure I’m ready to take on that level of freehand fine detail work just yet though!

As always, all tips, trick, hints, and constructive criticism is very much appreciated, so feel free to hit me up in the comments below, or over on Facebook. If you want to take a look at the previous parts of this series, you can find them at these links: Part 1 – Ultramarines, Part 2 – Blood Angels, Part 3 – Imperial Fists, Part 4 – Salamanders, Part 5 – Dark Angels, Part 6 – White Scars.

Finally, in the current crazy times, I hope everyone and those they care about are safe and healthy, and continue to remain so! Take care of yourselves!

Space Marines 3 – Imperial Fists

In the third instalment of my Space Marine painting adventure, I’ve painted an Imperial Fist. Yellow is the colour of the day with this guy, which presented its own set of challenges, some down to the nature of the colour, and some self-inflicted.

I’ve a few initial comments to make on this one. The first thing is that I usually undercoat my models with a black rattle can spray. I think I’m going to pick up a can of mid grey and a can of white, and experiment with these a bit when I’m painting models of a mainly bright colour. I’ve read that once you get to 3-4 coats (which I do anyway), any effect of the undercoat is minimal, but I think I’ll try it anyway to see if it makes life any easier.

The next thing is that I’ve started to use a wet palette, and an acrylic thinner medium instead of plain tap water to thin my paints. The issue I had here was that I didn’t mix the thinner through the yellow well enough, meaning I got the nice saturated sunburst yellow colour in places (see the pauldrons), and a milky, chalky yellow in others (see the gun and leg plates).

Now, on to the photos!

The yellow colour represented less of a challenge with the photography, rather than me doing anything different, and getting things right!

Another painting mistake I made with this one is that after the initial 4 layers of thinned yellow base coat, I washed the entire model in a sepia ink. That’s given the flat panels a bit of a muddy effect in places. In future, I’m going to try and keep this application as precisely to the seams and recesses as I can, which I should have done from the start…

As always, if anyone has any comments, tips, or painting experiences they’d like to share, feel free to drop them in the comments box below. If you want to take a look at my previous efforts, here are the links to Part 1 and Part 2!