Space Marines – Space Wolves

This week’s model is the first from my box of the newly designed space marines. and I’ve painted him in the Space Wolves livery. These minis are a bit bigger than the old style, probably about 4mm taller, and they’re a bit more detailed. Overall, I think they’re a nice update (although it doesn’t make up for GW discontinuing Bretonnians!) to the space marine minis, and they’re certainly fun to paint.

Getting a good match for the Space Wolves colours was a little tricky, but I think I’ve gotten pretty close with my Vallejo paints. What do you folks think?

Space Marines - Space Wolves 1
Space Marines - Space Wolves 2
Space Marines - Space Wolves 3
Space Marines - Space Wolves 4
Space Marines - Space Wolves 5

This is my first post-lockdown paint job, with about a 3 month break, and the time off has definitely set my progress back. My motor skills were less polished and getting neat lines was more challenging than I recall, and most of the detail work required quite a bit of cleaning up afterward.

I didn’t get a particularly good shot of the shoulder decal, but I’m happy that it seems to have gone on even better than the previous one on the Crimson Fist I painted last time (which you can find here). Hopefully I’ve got these down now, and will be able to keep getting good results with them going forward as I think they definitely add to the end result. Perhaps one day I’ll be good enough to paint these symbols on freehand, but I don’t think that’ll be any time soon!

I decided to go helmet off for this guy, as I wanted to do something a little different, and I thought the sculpt on this one was pretty cool. I’m not a 100% on the metallics approach I took on the gun, so I may go back to NMM for these on the next couple of minis.

I’ve also finally worked out how to make the images clickable and expandable, so you can now get a closer look, and even play a game of how many mistakes you can spot, if you’re really, really bored!

I haven’t quite decided what chapter colour scheme to go with next, so if anyone has any suggestions, feel free to drop me a line! My general approach has been to try painting each mini in a different colour scheme, or at least in a different tone. Perhaps something orange??

Space Marines – The Next Generation! Crimson Fists.

With lockdown easing, it’s time to get back to something we haven’t seen here for a while – badly painted Space Marines! Having finished the previous box up, this time they’re the new generation models, starting with an easy build one I got with a painting guide.

This space marine is painted in the livery of the Crimson Fists. I particularly like the colour scheme for this chapter of marines. I’d been playing around with the GW approach of edge highlighting a bit in the previous batch of old school marines, and wanted to follow that approach completely here. I was pretty surprised and pleased with the end result.

On to the photos:

Space Marine - Crimson Fist 1
Space Marine - Crimson Fist 2
Space Marine - Crimson Fist 3
Space Marine - Crimson Fist 4

I’m not sure why clicking on the images doesn’t allow them to be enlarged any more, but I’ll look into it and hopefully get that fixed for my next post.

Overall, I’m really happy with the way this turned out, and am going to apply myself to this method for the next few models in the regular box of this guys that I got. In the interests of full disclosure, I painted this before lockdown, so don’t remember any of the issues I might have had while painting it (it’s been 3 months – I’m lucky if I can remember what I did 3 minutes ago…).

Looking it over, I’m impressed by how quick this approach is (mainly in removing the time I spend agonising over where to place the highlights…), and how effective it looks. I think it’s definitely one worth practising and having in your toolkit of techniques. It involves 6 steps in its basic form:

  1. Laying down a base colour.
  2. Shading the recesses with a carefully applied wash.
  3. Painting in any details like symbols, equipment etc.
  4. Touching up the base layer for any mess made shading or detailing.
  5. A thicker mid shade edge highlight over all the edges.
  6. A thinner light shade edge highlight over the upper/light catching edges.

I also started using decals here, something I’ve never had much success with before. With the help of some youtube videos and a bottle of micro-set, I actually managed to get it on, pretty contoured to the surface, and not torn anywhere. Still far from perfect, but this is the best result I’ve had with a should pad transfer to date, so I’m hopeful I can get better again with the next one.

Next week will have a post-lockdown painted Space Wolf, and sadly 3 months away from the painting table have taken their toll. Hand steadiness and ability to be neat has definitely declined, but hopefully that’ll come back to its usually high (cough) standard quickly!